For Aiyana Mo'Nay Stanley-Jones: An American Tragedy






By: Tony L. Jefferson, Jr.

This little girl haunts me
She makes me fear for my own seed
That innocence can die in the young years
Before they even develop their own fears
A fleeting instant
A quick last breath
A soul long gone from its young vessel
Americas bloodlust has extended to the youth
Poisoning them and killing them in one big swoop
I wish I could take on that pain you must’ve felt
In those few last seconds, you had left
I’ve never met you but I love you
I wish I could’ve protected you
Or at least held you in your last hour
A parent should never have to bury their child
Especially when the government was too trigger happy to care
To check if they even had the right house
Or see that a child was sleeping on the couch
Black Lives Matter
But it seems selective
Fleeting even
Because before we get used to the first hashtag on Twitter
We’re bombarded with 20 more
Desensitizing us to more
But you little girl
You stick with me
And will stick with me
All the days of my life
RIP Aiyana Mo'Nay Stanley-Jones
July 20, 2002 – May 16, 2010

Comments

Popular Posts